The most famous dish of the Greek cuisine, the Souvlaki, it is believed that was born in Messinia,in the legendary kingdom of Nestor.
This reveals an earthen vessel found in the excavations of the palace of the king of Pylos which dates back to 1300 bc. The archaeologists called it ' souvlaki tray' and it is believed that it's purpose was to support the Souvlakia which were cooked over the coals.
What you need for Souvlaki Marinade
5 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tbls smokey Joe's souvlaki mix
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
2 bay leaves
For the Chicken
1 kg free range boneless skinless chicken breast, fat removed, cut into 2.5cm pieces
Greek pita bread
Tzatziki Sauce (make according to this recipe)
Sliced tomato, onions, and sliced lettuce (optional)
What to do
1. Prepare the marinade. In the bowl of a small food processor, add garlic, Smokey Joe’s souvlaki mix olive oil, white wine, and lemon juice (do NOT add the dried bay leaves yet). Pulse until well combined.
2. Place chicken in a large bowl and add bay leaves. Top with marinade. Toss to combine, making sure chicken is well-coated with marinade. cover tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (see note for quicker marinating option.)
3. Soak 10 to 12 wooden skewers in water for 30 to 45 minutes or so. Prepare Tzatziki sauce and other fixings, and if you’re adding Greek salad or other sides, prepare those as well. (some sides like roasted garlic hummus may take longer, you can prepare those in advance).
4. When ready, thread marinated chicken pieces through the prepared skewers.
5. Heat the barbeque (or griddle plate ). Brush grates with a little oil and heat over medium-high heat. Place chicken skewers on grill (cook in batches on griddle) until well browned and internal temperature registers 75, Be sure to turn skewers evenly to cook on all sides, about 5 minutes total. While grilling, brush lightly with the marinade (then discard any left marinade).
6. Transfer chicken to serving platter cover and let rest for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, briefly grill pitas and keep warm.
To assemble a souvlaki, first, spread Tzatziki sauce on warm pita bread , add chicken pieces (take them off skewers first, of course) then add freshly sliced tomatoes, red onion crumbled feta